3.10.2013

the poetry of emily dickinson


Emily Dickinson has such a way with words. I have been hunting in thrift stores for months to find a collection of her poetry & I finally found one! It was a steal too. I almost started jumping up & down in goodwill, I was so ecstatic. I have a feeling that this will be one of those books that I'll read over & over again, keeping it for years even after it has become worn & weathered.

I've spent the last couple days poring over her beautiful poems, underlining & starring & making notes. I love writing all over books I read, because it makes me feel like I'm involved. That I'm invested in the writing, & play a part in it. I feel that it connects me, somehow, to her. Anyways, I wanted to share one of the favorites of hers that I've read so far ::

If I can stop one heart from breaking, 
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching, 
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain. 



No comments:

Post a Comment